Swadeshi Science Movement was started in Indian Institute of Science(Bengaluru) by a few eminent scientists under the guidance of Prof. K.I.Vasu. This movement gradually gained momentum emerged as an organization with national presence. In 1991(Oct 20-21) at the Nagpur meet, it was decided, to launch the Swadeshi Science Movement at all India Level and named it as Vijnana Bharati. The foundation principle of VIBHA is made
• As a vibrant movement for the development of Swadeshi Science
• As a dynamic Science Movement with a swadeshi Spirit, interlinking traditional and modern sciences on the one hand, and natural and spiritual sciences on the other hand.
• As a Swadeshi Movement with modern science adapted to national needs.
The Deccan College Deemed University
Pune is the third oldest Educational Institute in India. The Deccan College, previously known as “The Hindoo College” was started on 6th October, 1821 by the Bombay Presidency Government at the initiative of its Governor, Mountstuart Elphinstone by using the Dakshina Fund. This fund was started by Khanderao Dabhade, a Maratha Sardar and continued by the Peshwas for propagating Sanskrit studies.
This College grew from strength to strength and has emerged as a foremost Institute in the world of higher learning and research. It was renamed as the “Poona College” on 7th June, 1851 and later as “The Deccan College” in October 1864. The Deccan College has, since its inception, produced a galaxy of students who rose to positions of excellence in various walks of life. They include Sir Ramkrishna Gopal Bhandarkar, the celebrated Indologist, Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak, the great nationalist leader, Gurudev Ramchandra Dattratreya Ranade, the eminent philosopher, Gopal Ganesh Agarkar, the great social reformer, Vishwanath Kashinath Rajawade, the famous historian, Dr. Dwarkanath Kotnis, the famous Indian medical practitioner who rendered yeoman service in China, etc.Further, in 1939, after a closer of short period, the College was reincarnated as the Deccan College and Post Graduate and Research Institute. Professors S. M. Katre, H. D. Sankalia, Irawati Karve, C. R. Sankaran, T. S. Shejwalkar, A. M. Ghatage, M. A. Mehendale, S. B. Deo, M. K. Dhavlikar, A. Kelkar and others made first-rate teaching and research contribution on account of which University has achieved a pre-eminent status not only in India but also outside the country. In view of its contribution to the field of Archaeology, Linguistics and Sanskrit, the UGC granted it the status of Deemed to be University in 1990. The University has three teaching cum research Departments, viz. 1. AIHC and Archaeology, 2. Linguistics, 3. Sanskrit and Lexicography.In addition to this, the university has proposed two new departments, viz. 1. Department of Heritage Management and Scientific Conservation 2. Department of Buddhist Studies. The University is accredited with "A" grade (with CGPA 3.16) by the NAAC in 2015.